7 things to know about Friday, December 30Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Southwest Airlines said flights will be mostly normal today.
- The last one: Just a few fields have been canceled so farcompared with about 2,500 yesterday as tens of thousands of travelers tried to return home from the holidays.
- This will be a huge relief: Storm and airline damage internal technology caused a breakdown in travel over the past week, stranding people across the country. Over 15,000 flights were cancelled.
A House panel released Donald Trump’s tax returns this morning.
- What’s in them? The publication’s reporters are reviewing the documents and we’ll have updates here with any findings.
- Why this matters: The former president struggled for years to keep these returns under wraps, and today’s release may help explain why.
- What else to know: It comes in the final days of Democratic control of the House. Republicans will have a majority when the new session of Congress begins on Tuesday.
It looks like 2023 will start with storms in the South.
Pele, the “king of football” in Brazil, died yesterday.
- What will we remember him by: The 82-year-old was the most famous athlete in the world for decades. He helped Brazil win the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970.
- What else to know: Pele died in a Sao Paulo hospital of complications from colon cancer, his manager said.
- Respect: Soccer’s biggest modern stars, including Brazil’s Neymar and Argentina’s Lionel Messi, have paid their respects.
Vivienne Westwood, the provocative British fashion designer, has died.
- Her Legacy: She was a style icon and environmental activist who helped with clothing the punk movement of the 1970s before dressing supermodels on the runways of Paris and Milan.
- The 81-year-old died in London yesterday, her fashion house said. We still don’t know the reason.
The college playoff semifinals are tomorrow.
There are lasting benefits to Dry January.