Christmas tragedy when a toddler was found dead hours after being sent home from hospitalThank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
The devastated parents of a 22-month-old toddler have told how they found her dead – just hours after she was sent from hospital.
Little Hayley Thompson was diagnosed with a virus on December 18 but her family were told to continue giving her fluids and paracetamol instead of antibiotics.
But early the next day, her parents Chris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, found her unresponsive in her bedroom.
Chris performed CPR before paramedics took over and the child was rushed to Wigan Hospital – where he tragically died despite the best efforts of paramedics.
An investigation has now been launched after her parents complained that Hayley’s case was not being taken seriously enough.
Chris, from Wigan, Gtr Manchester, said: “We can’t believe we’ve lost our little girl.
“It all happened so fast. Something in her body took control of her.
“When we found her at 5.30am on Monday, she was lying in exactly the same position I had seen her in when I went to bed at midnight, only she was stiff and her skin was discolored.
“It was a terrible sight and it will haunt me for the rest of my life.
“We knew in our hearts she was gone but I rang 999 and screamed down the phone that our daughter was dying so they had me do CPR until the paramedics arrived.
“But she was unable to revive her and she was pronounced dead at the hospital.”
Hayley started with a cough and runny nose on December 7 and was taken to a GP who prescribed antibiotics, but she stopped taking them due to an allergic reaction.
A week later, she was taken to another doctor’s appointment, where the family was told that because she had a viral infection, she needed Calpol instead of antibiotics.
Just a day later she was well enough to run around, eat and drink well and went to bed at her usual time of 6.30pm.
Chris went to check on her at 11pm where he found his daughter gasping for air so he immediately called 999 who said an ambulance would be arriving soon.
After 20 minutes it didn’t arrive and 111 told him there was a two hour wait so he took Haley to the ER where they waited more than five hours before she was seen.
The doctor tested Haley’s blood pressure and couldn’t check her tonsils, so he told the family to go home, where she immediately fell asleep.
Her parents were told to keep her hydrated and give her a dose of Calpol, and if she didn’t improve after three days, to take her back to the emergency room.
She then woke up at midday but was coughing, runny and “completely out of character”.
Hayley was put to bed at 6:15pm on December 18 and Chris noticed that she was panting again, but not as heavily as before.
Less than six hours later, the couple made the most heartbreaking discovery.
Wigan Hospital experienced one of its busiest days on Sunday 18th and the department later declared a ‘critical incident’.
But Ibolya and Chris want to know why no blood samples were taken when Hayley was taken to hospital “gasping like a 90-year-old”.
The couple also said attempts to check her tonsils were abandoned as the young man struggled to close his mouth and then vomited.
Chris and Ibolia were told to take Hailey home and keep her hydrated, and if she wasn’t better after three days, to take her back to AG.
But tragically, the young man died within 24 hours.
Chris said: “We want answers. How can a healthy baby die in its sleep?
“And why hasn’t she been tested for strep A, scarlet fever or Covid for example?”
A post-mortem cannot be carried out until December 28, leaving the couple to face an agonizing wait for answers and police have passed details to the coroner.
A spokesman for Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: “Our sincere condolences go out to Hayley’s family at this tragic time.
“We are aware of the family’s concerns and are currently awaiting further information to understand more.”
#Christmas #tragedy #toddler #dead #hours #home #hospital