For you

George Santos is under investigation in New York

George Santos is under investigation in New York

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

Comment

Nassau County’s district attorney has announced an investigation into incumbent George Santos (RN.Y.), whose surprise victory in November was quickly followed by revelations that he lied about his business experience, education and family background.

District Attorney Ann T. Donnelly (R) said in a statement, “The numerous fabrications and inconsistencies associated” with Santos “are nothing short of staggering.” Residents of a congressional district “must have an honest and responsible representative in Congress” and “if a crime is committed in this district, we will prosecute it.” Donnelly’s spokesman, Brendan Brosh, said in a statement: “We are looking into the matter.”

Days after an explosive New York Times story on Dec 19 detailed lies told by Santos about his background, Santos gave a handful of interviews in which he recognized he was untrue that he had worked at Goldman Sachs and Citigroup and that he had graduated from college. He said he never claimed to be Jewish, despite the previous one public comments for his legacy.

It is also unclear the exact source of the $700,000 Santos claims he borrowed from his 2022 campaign, just two years after filing financial disclosure statement during an unsuccessful 2020 congressional bid that said he had no major assets or earned income.

Santos and his representatives did not respond to a request for comment.

The scale of George Santos’ fraud – and the questions that remain

News of the investigation came as another detail of Santos’ biography came to light on Wednesday.

During his 2020 race for Congress, he told a dramatic story on a podcast about how a prestigious private school he attended refused to help his financially strapped family months before his graduation.

in interview in October 2020, which resurfaced on social media Wednesday, Santos, referring to his parents, said, “They sent me to a good prep school — it was Horace Mann Prep in the Bronx. And in my last year at prep school, unfortunately, my parents fell on hard times. Santos went on to say that at the time his family could not “afford $2,500 in tuition” and “I dropped out of school [with] four months until graduation.

But school spokesman Horace Mann told The Post that the school has no record of Santos attending the institution.

After contacting the school and providing them with several variations of Santos’ name that he uses publicly, Ed Adler, a spokesman for Horace Mann, wrote in an email: “George Santos or any of your aliases [cite] never visited HM.’

Analysis: The scale of George Santos’ fraud – and the questions that remain

In November, Santos won an open Long Island congressional seat held by a Democrat. With this win, Santos made headlines as the first non-incumbent president to be an openly gay Republican elected to Congress. He also falsely describes himself as Jewish and a fantastically successful businessman.

Amid this newfound attention, Santos’ story unraveled.

Santos admits to “embellishing the resume” but says little about finances

Some Democrats have called for Santos not to be elected to Congress next week. House Republican leaders have largely remained silent on the issue as Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) seeks enough votes to become speaker of the House when Republicans take control of the chamber when the new term begins Tuesday.

Incumbent Michael Lawler (R), who defeated a Democratic incumbent in a suburb upstate New York, it said in a statement Wednesday, “As multiple federal, state and local investigations appear to be underway, Mr. Santos must cooperate fully if he is to regain the trust of his constituents and colleagues.” A spokesman for the New York attorney general’s office said last week that it was addressing the issues raised by the reports about Santos. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, whose jurisdiction includes Long Island, declined to comment.

Members of the House Equality Group, which focuses on issues facing the LGBT community, said in declaration Wednesday that Santos “doesn’t deserve” to be in Congress and called on him to “step down immediately,” pointing to his unsupported claim that four of his staff were killed in the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando in 2016. Santos later told WABC that the four people “would come to work” at his company. He did not elaborate in the interview, nor did he respond to Post inquiries about it.

Bruce Blakeman – Nassau County Executive – told CNN on Wednesday that Santos needs to deal with the “emotional issues” that led to his lie. “A normal person wouldn’t do that,” said Blakeman, a Republican.

In the video, which surfaced Wednesday, Santos unfolds a heartbreaking story about his education that even his interviewers at the time seem to question.

One man in the video, identified on screen as Bill Cannon, told Santos, “Wait a minute, George. Wouldn’t Horace Mann hit you with a scholarship?’

Santos replied, “Unfortunately, at the time, I wasn’t the only student going through the same problem.”

Wednesday night on TwitterSantos downplayed the latest developments but said he looked forward to working in Congress.




#George #Santos #investigation #York

Related Articles

Back to top button